Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's not that the NHL is that Cool, it's just that the NBA isn't..


So, stop me if you've seen the graph on your right before. Oh you have?

Everywhere, you say?

Yeah, me too.

And since everyone and their mom feels the need to comment on it, that's what I am prepared to do. It's easy to give in to peer pressure so, what the hell, let's do it. There aren't any drugs or pop music involved, so it can't be that bad to post about.

Anyway, last week the folks over at Supersonics Soul posted up the aforementioned graph on the right. It caused quite a stir in the blogosphere (Imagine that - bloggers riled up about something). The story even, eventually, found it's way to Deadspin. I guess that's a good barometer for how many people are riled up (i.e. a lot).
So hey, hockey is more popular than another sport. That's news now-a-days. What with MSN declaring us irrelevant and what not. Good times, really. I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

OK, so the NBA isn't doing so hot. And, as a hockey blogger, I should be happy about that?

Frankly, as a hockey blogger, I don't really care what the NBA is doing. Now I shouldn't have my head in the sand either, but I'm not about to start some kind of victory parade. Remember, it wasn't so long ago that my sport was, um, sitting out an entire season.

And what's the most concerning thing about this graph? That the NHL's attendance line hasn't soared as much as the NBA's has dropped. The reason we're winning this attendance is battle is because, yeah, the NBA's attendance has declined so sharply. Meanwhile, the NHL's attendance is kind of puttering along. Getting a little higher here, a little lower there.

The crazy thing too, is that I'll occasionally find myself watching basketball. (Pistons vs. Celtics) I have watched 2 qtrs this year, up 200% from this time last year. That's what happens when AI gets traded to the Pistons (they should be good), and then they play last years 3 Champions (Granted Rondo, and that Powe fellow or whoever had good games during the championship run).

But untill EA Sports comes out with a NCAA Men's Hockey Video Game, hockey will never get the recognition it deserves as a major sport.. (Please EA Sports, make my dream come true!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How about that Blue list of hurt players!!!Can you also do a piece on Patagonia??-Those guys drive trucks!

BrettB in STL said...

Patagonia!?!? Let's go to the list of names..... Ahhh yes BERGMAN!

kos said...

I agree with the ncaa hockey game. That would be awesome. The blues looked good last night, especially mason.

BrettB in STL said...

Unbelievable how great Mason Played last night. Here's a huge stat for him. He's currently at 78 saved shots out of 79!! But the Blues are still dedicated to Manny their All-Star Goalie, who gets paid less then Mason..

Eric J. Burton said...

Yeah, I have the NBA as well, I couldn't tell you how the Timber Puppies are doing right now?