Saturday, October 11, 2008

Till I'm BLUE in the Face

Well preseason is over for my new team I will be following, the St Louis Blues. This franchise has a great storied past, but like all things that's the past, and this is the present.

Having moved here about a year ago, this town I've come to realize is all high and mighty on pro teams that are winners, and when you're a loser, they'll heckle you until you leave. How you can come to this town, and like a different baseball team other then the Cardinals is almost an impossibility. As if you don't admit your a Cards fan, you might get "wacked" (ya there is a mafia here.)

Last winter I was able to attend a few NHL games, what I saw was eye-opening. I come from a small town of about 50-65,000. I also was able to attend the great UND for the best 5 and half years of my life, where I fell in love with watching UND Fighting Sioux Hockey. Week in and week out, the greatest palace on ice fills up with 11,000+ giddy fans ready to watch their team pummle their opponent. I don't think I've ever walked into that building thinking my team is going to lose. NEVER, as weird as that sounds, and you can call me a "Homer" all you want, but its college hockey, anything and anyone can win, and therefore never have I walked into that building expecting a loss. Especially the talent that has went through their the last 6 years.

Well on to my story, last winter I had the privilege of watching the Blues play Dallas, Colorado, Chicago, Nashville, and a few others. What I saw is what was so shocking..
1.) The Scottrade Center is nice, but the Ralph Engelstad Arena truly is in a league of its own. I knew it was nice having been to the Excel Energy Center, and the Pepsi Center. But still I was expecting more then that.
2.) Attendance at some NHL games last year the crowd was as low as 7,500 people! (Capacity is 19,150) Where are the season ticket holders?? I just couldn't believe how since the team was on a skid their fans would give up so quick. (Granted this team hasn't been to the playoffs for a looooongg time, but still)
3.) Crowd energy, and music was nothing to what I was accustomed to in college. Maybe its just me, and I've been graced with so many great thrillers in college, but most games I went to even the MC, and the music is depressing. Granted they stay with tradition, and an organ, but still. I think people like a little bit of a change, but mainly their music just didn't seem to get me or my girlfriend pumped up..

That's hopefully in the past, as the 2008-2009 Year for the Blues has been labeled by their Managements Promotion as: "WHATEVER IT TAKES" :
1.) Whatever it takes to win- The Blues are one of the youngest teams in the league, and have been pinpointed by every writer and "expert" in the sport as the worst team in the league. And as high as 3rd worst in the league! Laughable I say, its time to prove the doubters wrong.
2.) Whatever it takes to fill the stands- Great promotions of name your price for whatever seat you'd like to sit, and if it's reasonable they'll accept! Also add in free ticket giveaways for Meet the Team events, and thats Free tickets to anyone who shows up their! I give mgmt big props in their efforts to reduce ticket prices down to the same price of going to the movies! The more people watch this sport of hockey, the fights, the plays, the ridiculous goals, the more they'll realize how great it is to watch.

Also check out March 15th my birthday, they're going to honor my birthday by giving away FREE food to everyone in attendance!!! How many places do that for a fan!?!?!?! lol

Onto my predictions for the team:

Biggest Breakout Rookie:
It'll be tough between Oshie and Berglund, but like the story in Shytown last year between Kane and Toews whoever stays healthy wins it. I'd like to see Oshie win it as he'll play against the opponents best line night in and night out, and also is the #2 forward on the penalty kill. Whereas Berglund is positioned against the opponents weakest scoring line, and also plays on the Power Play.

Darkhorse: Chris Porter, even though he originally was cut at the beginning of the year (I think it was due to the Salary Cap) he'll eventually win over Murray, as he played with his son Brady back in college (Come on Andy that should mean something, I know Brady didn't pan out the greatest but that doesn't mean you have to take it out on all the current and future Sioux players). Chris always seems to impress me with his work ethic and the drive to want to play the game. I mean after all he holds all them NCAA records for longest streak of playing in every college hockey game throughout his whole career. Plus all them Ironman awards beating out other NHLers back in college. This kid will be a great power forward grinder in the NHL.

Goalie:
Manny Legace, and Chris Mason (former starter for Nashville) will be the 1-2 goaltenders, the brass signed Mason this off season for $3Mill for the next 2 years. Meanwhile Manny's on his last year and gets paid less, and has been the best goalie for STL over the years he's been here. The writing on the wall doesn't look good for Manny, as the Blues also claim Ben Bishop is ready down in the AHL, and will most likely get signed next year. I feel bad for Manny, but hey its opportunity time for him, he plays extremely well, he can look at a lot of great offers to go elsewhere and put the Blues in a pinch.

Vet Forwards:
Paul Kariya has 2 years left on his big $6Mill/yr contract. Last year he didn't play up to his potential. Keith Tkachuck is on his last year of his contract. Rumor is he might retire, and move into the Blues Office somewhere. I think if they do well, all the kids on this team will invigorate him into maybe playing another year or two. Brad Boyes will need to keep his goal production up, having a breakout year last year, they just don't want him to fall into a slump. Andy McDonald is looking to breakout of his slump he endured last year at Anaheim, and I think the small (For you Sioux Fans, he reminds me of Ryan Duncan) forward can maybe get er done.

Defense?:
The biggest question mark. Not because every ones man crush on Erik Johnson is so overly depressing. (If you didn't know he's hurt again, and my guess he'll be one of those NHLers who are valued as a commodity, but are always fighting to stay of the IR) EJ's out for the year, but even with him on the Blue Line this year, they still only have about 3 good D-Men.

The Future:
It's bright, because when you're in the leagues doghouse at the bottom every year for 3 straight years you tend to get high draft picks. Hopefully all those draft picks come through, if they do this team will make the playoffs this year, and hopefully contend for a Stanley cup in the next 2-4 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.