Friday, March 27, 2009

The Big bad Flood.... Redux

As many of you know, I was born bred Grand Forks... North Dakota style.

Since I live in the Lou, many whom know me around these parts keep asking how's my hometown doing? How's my mother, father, and family doin? To most of their questions I can only say, "Well they say they're doing ok, and that they're going to trust the National Weather Service, whom couldn't tell you the right thing if it hit them in the face.. Much less predict when a god damn river that flows north will crest! But, I guess I'll regress and have to take their word for it, and say they're doing fine.."
So finally I decided you know what I'll just go ahead and tap into that flood cam that they put up on the Grand Forks Herald web site... Just to put me at ease.. Afterall my dad's house is literally a drunk stumble into that damn flood wall..(It hurts, trust me, you don't want to try and bounce off it)

So yesterday I peaked in, and now today, I'm firewalled since I'm at work... So I decided to google up some pictures, and wouldn't you know it, I cyber stalked some rando's pictures of the events right now... Oh and did you know President Barak Obama declared North Dakota a State of Federal Disaster, or something like that?? I think what he was trying to say was that he wishes the UND Hockey team makes it to the D.C., and then to the White House, as he had a lot of fun in the Alerus last year.. Without further ado, since you probably don't want to hear any sappy story, about what my friends and I went through in 1997.. Let's all stay positive, I mean afterall the Blues are on a winning streak, my NCAA BBall bracket isn't all but a bust quite yet (it will once UNC decides to lose), and I'm sure if you didn't already know Obama doesn't think the fighting sioux nickname is hostile or abusive..

This picture below was taken on March 25, 2009:Onto Sand Bag Central shall we:
This brings me back to when I was 13, at Sand Bag Central, unfortunately and shockingly this picture was taken around 4am on March 26th, 2009.. Wowza
That's some good team work there.Here is a picture of Minnesota Welcoming their visitors with a HUGE WALL! lol, it always cracks me up:By the time this blog went to press, this was the latest picture, and YES the Sorlie Bridge pictured above is UNDER WATER...
Here's the link to the guy's flickr site. From what I can deduce, he's a college student at UND, and a bartender, that is a foreigner maybe? Who fly's a lot, prolly a prophead.. Anyway 4am sandbagging is pretty impressive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrottler/3387292054/


GOOD LUCK GRAND FORKS, I WISH ALL NORTH DAKOTANS WELL.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post bro. I wish i was there man, I feel like such a worthless piece stuck in here. Plus I have now become the official "flood expert" in my office and anytime a person gets a whiff of the flooding they come to me for answers. Plus we got cnn on the t.v.s in the office so I have to deal with people coming up to me asking where "this" picture is or how far the river is from some place. I wouldn't mind except that after I tell them they just laugh and say how stupid people are for living in a flood zone. Apparently a 1,000 year flood that happens and comes again 12 years later is the communities fault. I hate city folk. Anyways, good luck to the Heels, Sioux, and Blues this weekend. Big Games should be either a good weekend or a heartbreaker.

EasyE

Jum said...

I had forgotten about all the Nike swag that we got....one of the few benefits of the big bad flood.

Anonymous said...

Hey, can I get an NHL update? My Wild are only 3 games back of your Baby Blues!!!!

EasyE

Eric J. Burton said...

Funny thing I live in town and I haven't even had time to go look at the river. I might have too tomorrow. My dad asked me about it today.

Eric J. Burton said...

hey B I checked out the river this weekend, holy cow it's still pretty high.

Eric J. Burton said...

check out this blog I just found. http://vote4oshie.blogspot.com/